- Visit Heron Corn Mill in the village of Beetham, Cumbria. An 18th century grade II* listed water mill.
- The present mill was built in 1740 and milled untill 1958. Pictured is William Newsham, miller 1905.Image copyright (©) Richard Becker
- Visit our what's on page to see what we've got coming up at Heron Corn Mill.
- There are regular milling demonstrations and you can buy our beautiful stoneground flour in the shop.
- Or why not volunteer? There are many opportunities to be part of this amazing heritage site. Come and improve your skills and knowledge and work with a great team.
- We are open from 11am to 4pm Wednesday to Sunday and bank holidays throughout the year.
- We also produce our own electricity! A 100kW Kaplan turbine was installed in 2009 to make renewable energy for the site. Surplus electricity is sold to the paper mill on the opposite bank of the river.
- The River Bela has powered the site of Heron Corn Mill for centuries.
- We run The Mill Hoppers Clubs once a month for young people aged 8-11 years. A group for 12-16 year olds begins in 2016. The young people engage with science, engineering and technology - and have a great time, like here, using electric Lego!See the What's On page for up to date information.
- We are a Living Heritage site, so we need to keep the mill working and the waterwheel turning.
- Bread of Heron meets in the Shepherd's Hut every fortnight. There are always news projects coming up at the mill - look out for a project that suits you!
- Read more about artist in residence Carran Waterfield's new piece of work here.
- Come and meet our mill cats Sweep, Miller and Damsel.
- Heron Corn Mill is a registered charity and limited company. It is supported by the Heritage Lottery fund and many other trusts and foundations.
Volunteering At Heron Corn Mill
We rely heavily on a dedicated team of volunteers to help in the development and maintenance of the mill site, and without them this…
There are many ways to learn about Heron Corn Mill, from school workshops and young people's clubs to older peoples sessions and family days, we have something for everyone!…
The Heron Corn Mill shop - for unique products specific to the mill and limited edition artist designed work. We have a range of gifts…